Secret: Often, I think the same thing - I too love eyeshadow but don't know how to use it. But I have picked up some tricks. Here are the recommendations I have to this lovely young woman:
MAC 249, MAC 224, MAC 219, Sephora Angled Liner
- Remember the basics - A wash shadow (applied all over the lid), a little liner, and mascara can make you look like a million bucks. So start there. It's easy, it's quick (3 minutes tops!) and you'll be fine.
- Use a Base - They keep your shadow in place, can pump the color up and make it more vibrant, and in general just make what you want to do easier. My favorites, depending on what I'm trying to do, are Urban Decay Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy. I only use the last one when I have problems with fall out.
- Brushes are important! - Think about what you're trying to do and use the right shaped brush accordingly. I like a shader brush like MAC 249 for patting the shadow on my lid. I'll use my MAC 224 for blending in the crease. And I adore my MAC 219 pencil brush for precise application. My Sephora Angled Eyeliner Brush is the BEST brush for me for lining. Kicks my MAC eye liner brushes collective asses. Get a variety of brushes, play with them, get to know their personalities.You'll be happy later. And, while not technically a "brush", don't forget an eye lash curler.
- Pencils are AWESOME - So many companies are making shadow pencils now, plus regular kohl pencils are smudgy enough that if you're in a hurry or your brushes are dirty you can totally just draw your eye on. Go for it! Worse thing - you just remove it and start over.
- Blogs and YouTube can help you - If you can think it up, chances are someone has a "How-to" out there somewhere. Just search and get inspired!
Specific products mentioned here can be found at MAC Cosmetics, Sephora, and Fyrinnae.